Solar Panels Installation
Solar electricity panels, also known as photovoltaics (PV), capture the sun’s energy and convert it into electricity that you can use in your home. By installing solar panels, you can generate your own renewable electricity.
How do solar PV panels work?
A solar PV panel consists of many cells made from layers of semi-conducting material, most commonly silicon. When light shines on this material, a flow of electricity is created. The cells don’t need direct sunlight to work and can even work on cloudy days. However, the stronger the sunshine, the more electricity generated.
Solar PV systems are made up of several panels, with each panel generating around 200-350W of energy in strong sunlight. Typical systems contain 10 to 15 panels and generate direct current (DC) electricity. Because the electricity used for household appliances is alternating current (AC), an inverter is installed along with the system to convert DC electricity to AC. This electricity can be used throughout your home, or exported to the grid.
Types of Solar Energy
Solar energy can be classified into two categories depending upon the mode of conversion and type of energy it is converted into. Passive solar energy and active solar energy belongs to the mode of conversion and solar thermal energy, photovoltaic solar power and concentrating solar power.
- Passive solar energy: This refers to trapping sun’s energy without using any mechanical devices.
- Active solar energy: This uses mechanical devices to collect, store and distribute the energy.
- Solar thermal energy: This is the energy obtained by converting solar energy into heat.
- Photovoltaic solar power: This is the energy obtained by converting solar energy into electricity.
- Concentrating solar power: This is a type of solar thermal energy which is used to generate solar power electricity.
Advantages of Solar Energy
Renewable Energy Source. Among all the benefits of solar panels, the most important thing is that solar energy is a truly renewable energy source. Reduces Electricity Bills. Since you will be meeting some of your energy needs with the electricity your solar system has generated, your energy bills will drop.